Gardens Gallery exhibition.

 A LIFE IN PAINTING 

 

An exhibition of figurative paintings by Cheltenham based artist Tim Turton.

 

THE GARDENS GALLERY, CHELTENHAM.

 

Wednesday 21st October to Tuesday 26th October.

 

This exhibition covers a range of subjects – Cotswold Landscapes, Still Life, Drawings, Horse Racing, Seascapes, Modern Dance, Still Life and on show will also be my portrait for NHS heroes.  Work will be for sale including framed and unframed paintings and drawings.

 

I predominately work in acrylic and love the versatility of this medium.  I have been described as a painter’s painter. I think this means that there is intrinsic beauty in the mark making and the design elements – a process I use to capture the essence of the subject.

 

 

ABOUT TIM TURTON.

 

After leaving Art College, I like many artists had to work in other trades to supplement my artistic career. At twenty-five I was fortunate to get a position of artist in a nationally recognised studio.  After 6 years there I moved into Graphic Design for a couple of years. Since then I have produced public artworks - mosaics and paintings, successfully exhibited, instructed painting in Greece and had a short stint as artist in residence.

 

This exhibition features predominately new work with some older work being included.  I paint what interests me and endeavour to create something new each time that is a response to a place, a moment or incident – partly from memory, partly from the sketches I make on location and partly from source references.  

 

Over the years there’s been an interesting mix of subjects, which have progressed into themes – with a recognisable style running through the work.  Repetition isn’t something I do – I need to be fired up, inspired by a new subject and direction.

 

 

 

NEW WORK (IN LOCKDOWN).

 

Lockdown has restricted all of our movements, but for me it has helped me focus on  ‘back to basics.  I’ve always been inspired by what I love, I feel this gives me a knowledge and joy for the subject.   Lockdown has seen me move into Still Life and smaller impressionistic works.

 

 

 

 

PORTRAIT FOR NHS HEROES.

 

I’ve recently finished my portrait for NHS heroes.  The painting depicts an Oncology nurse, who was re-deployed to work in a Covid 19 Ward.  The painting has received great feedback and Sarah, the mum, thinks I have captured her daughter even under the PPE.  It was a privilege to paint her – it was a moving experience to paint a young mum who was playing such an important role in our community’s welfare. I tried to capture the person under the disconcerting PPE .

 

 

 

DRAWING AND OBSERVATION

 

I’ve always drawn, for me it’s the bedrock for creativity whether it’s a painting or a sculpture. When you draw, you think about the subject in a subconscious way, making alterations to the drawing without thinking – responding automatically to what you see.  I use my drawings as the starting point for almost all my paintings.

 

 

 

MY STUDIO.

 

I work from my new studio on the outskirts of Cheltenham. Its a bright and airy space, which nestles in our pretty garden.   As part of the Open Studios scheme visitors are welcome by appointment only please.

 

For more information :

 

Website: art-timturton.blogspot.com

Instagram: instagram.com/art.timturton/

Tel: 07580 802334

 

I hope you enjoy your visit to the gallery.

 

Tim

 

 

Popular posts from this blog

New Work