The Paintng Process

 A painting doesn't just happen - the finished painting may look simple as if its just come together.  That's the feeling I want my work to have when it's complete.  However it's a process.  A process that involves, observational sketching, laying out, blocking in, amending and finally completing.


A question I've often been asked is;  'How long did it take you to paint it?'.  My answer invariably is 'A few hours sketching and observing, time thinking about it, a number of hours to do the actual painting and forty years of experience'.  The experience is the bit you can't quantify, but its the bit I can't do without - its experience that enables me to take things out in order to simplify and to create marks that are beautiful in themselves.

For me a painting needs to work on a number of levels - subject matter, size, mark making, colour and design.  I need to like the subject first and I get real joy from creating a work that reflects how I feel about it.

The following series charts the progress of an Orchid painting I did as part of a series. Notice how changes and amendments happen along the way - the changes give the final painting a sense of tranquility which was what I wanted to achieve. 
For more information: art@tim-turton.uk

Please click on individual pictures to expand.

Original drawing from life

Drawing up on the canvas board

Monochrome blocking in of broad areas

Roughing in some colour as a guide

Refining the colours and shapes

Making fine changes to colour and shapes

The finished artwork (SOLD)

Popular posts from this blog

New Work

Gardens Gallery exhibition.

Paintings for the exhibition.